Friday, June 23, 2006

Interesting listen

A couple of times a year, Mike Malloy of Air America Radio devotes 3 hours to accepting phone-calls only from young people, with the kids ranging from 13 to 17 years old. Out of the 20 or so that called in tonight, the kids' biggest issue revealed a concern over global warming. One kid also made the connection between Iraq and oil. Listening to these broadcasts always gives one hope for an optimistic future.

(I can always find the AAR broadcasts via a BitTorrent stream at a place like isohunt.com; especially if you don't want to pay for the podcast from the premium site.)

I remember my dad telling me of a graph that one of his co-workers had presented in front of a technical audience. It evidently showed perfect correlation and followed an absolutely straight line. Then my dad spoke up and pointed out that the guy had actually plotted X versus X. As I recall, my dad relished in the fact that everyone in the audience laughed at his oneupsmanship.

In a nutshell, this illustrates what BushCo does -- they plot X vs. X, tell everyone that everything has and will work out perfectly and all the gullible 'minionists snarf it up. Too bad for the right-wing that a lot of the kids still listen to their parents as well as discussers of reality, and so will hopefully prevent a complete dismantling of our environmental progress to date.