Thursday, August 3, 2006

Occam's Texture

You shouldn't attribute malice to something that you can account for with basic incompetence. I caught the 9/11 scholars conference on C-SPAN radio and then listened to Webster Tarpley for 2 hours on Mike Malloy. Somehow the 9/11 truth movement people have to make every connection they can no matter how tenuous the assertion.

Since it takes some time to determine whether someone has gone overboard on conspiratorial theories, I have a quick test which gives immediate results. First, find the theorist's website. Then look for HTML background that looks like this texture:

I guarantee it will accurately predict tin-foil at least 99% of the time. Find a textured home page and you will find tin-foil-hat-wearers lurking nearby. Let me test my theory:

Another 9/11 textured page:

And one more on an unrelated but even more insane topic:

Why do the conspiratorially inclined go for this background texture? Occam would explain it as old farts never updating their pages beyond HTML styles circa-1996. I would prefer to think of it as an subconscious plea to shadow whatever they say with crumbled tin foil:

Yet, I still don't quite understand why WTC building #7 went down.